Thursday, November 17, 2016

#NotMyPresident ?

One  of my first reactions election night was the above sentiment: Mr. T is Not My President! That is certainly how it feels - I didn't vote for him, his positions on a host of topics seem profoundly wrong and I abhor his entire bullying, braggadocios shtick. But...is it hypocritical to take this attitude? Many progressives criticized the Orange man for not pledging to accept the election results (unless he won, of course). Am I now guilty of the same thing?

Here is my argument for why I think it is not a hypocritical position to take: his campaign is so far outside the normal course of American political tradition that he did not earn my support in any way. Again and again he broke the informal rules under which we run our elections - no release of tax returns, personal and vicious attacks against individuals, insulting our allies, playing footsie with the authoritarian Putin, and on and on. This is not a typical election and its results are a fundamental threat to the democratic traditions we have followed for over 200 years. 

OTOH, many respected Democrats have stuck with the view that "he won the election, he will be our president, we have to support him now". That is always how we have done it in the past. Like a sporting contest, when the game is over, acknowledge the winner, congratulate them and move on. 

As I said, this seems like a horse of a different color and the old rules don't apply.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. It's a horse of a different color. Trump is, by far, the most fundamentally unfit candidate ever elected to the presidency.

    He is going to be the President. But I will do whatever I can to oppose the policies he said he would install as president. Because they are evil.

    ReplyDelete